Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is open to international students who wish for a fully funded scholarship to study outside their country.
Interested applicants who wish to apply for the scholarship are required to read the simple ABCD steps required to get started with the application.
About the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
The Benjamin Gilman International Scholarship is part of the United States Cultural Exchange Program. The Benjamin Scholarship was named after the late Congressman Benjamin Gilman, who was then chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
The scholarship program is hosted and organized by the United States Department of State and supported in its implementation by the Institute of International Education. Benjamin Scholarships are offered to U.S. citizens.
The purpose of the scholarship is to assist undergraduates financially in the pursuit of their studies as well as to fund international students. The Benjamin A. Gilman scholarship was established under the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000 and has provided up to $5,000 for US students to further their studies abroad.
The duration of the scholarship program is a minimum of two weeks for community college students and three weeks for students at a four-year university. Each year, the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship awards 2,800 scholarships.
The Scholarship is currently open to all U. S. citizens and undergraduates who have a high academic record and must have received a Pell Grant.
The Gilman Scholarship is offered by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State to undergraduates. Scholars from the United States and international students will build relationships through the scholarship.
Brief Summary of Benjamin A.Gilman International Scholarship
- The scholarship opportunity is open to students who are pursuing an undergraduate program.
- The universities offer all courses or subjects at the undergraduate level.
- Over 2,900 students have been awarded $5,000 scholarships.
- All US students are eligible for this scholarship
- Country of origin: Abroad
Eligibility for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- You must be a US citizen
- You must be an undergraduate student with a high grade at an accredited university (either a two-year or four-year school).
- You must be entitled to a Federal PELL Grant or proof of receiving a Pell Grant during the program or internship must be provided.
- A letter of acceptance as proof of program/degree is required before the award can be disbursed.
- A student must be in the process of applying to study overseas or accepting a position as an intern for a two-week program (community college students) or a four-week program (four-year students) in a single country and must be eligible for credit from his or her home country.
- Applicants must be intending to study in a country that is not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State. In addition, they must be considered ineligible for program participation.
- Applicant must be applying for credit-bearing study abroad programs in a country or area with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2 based on the instructions of the U. S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory System.
How to apply for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Applicants are to submit their applications online
- Applicant must submit their academic transcript. Transcripts from both the current and previous semesters. A copy of your undergraduate transcript either official or unofficial.
- Applicant must submit two essays as part of the Benjamin Scholarship Application, which is the statement of purpose essay and the follow-on-service project proposal. For those who are interested in applying for the Gilman Critical Need Language Awards, an additional essay is needed.
- According to your statement of purpose, you have indicated your area of interest in your application. Then, your follow-on service project proposal indicates how you intend to impact and encourage people in your locality to study abroad.
The application deadline is 16th March 2023.
To get the latest about the scholarship opportunity. kindly visit the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship official website