Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law is delighted to introduce you to a place of study and a scholarship opportunity for the 2023-2024 academic session.
Applicants who are interested in studying for a doctoral degree on a fully funded scholarship in Germany can apply for the scholarship.
To learn more about the scholarship opportunity and how to get started with the application process, please read this article to the end. You will learn interesting information about the scholarship opportunity.
All international graduate students from different fields of study who wish to pursue a doctoral degree program at the Graduate School of Law at the University of Hamburg in the 2023 academic session are eligible to apply.
About Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law
Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law (AMBSL) offers a well-organized PhD program in Legal Studies. The Graduate School of Law provides an interdisciplinary quality education based on international standards. The Graduate School of Law is dedicated to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment.
Mendelssohn Bartholdy specialized in Anglo-American law and nurtured international connections. As a delegate to the League of Nations in 1931, he served as a judge at the International Arbitration Tribunal in The Hague in 1925. In 1933, he was forced to emigrate, ending his stellar career abruptly.
The following year, Mendelssohn Bartholdy found asylum in England, where he became a research fellow at Balliol College, Oxford. The Graduate School of Law was established in 2012. The university was named after Albrecht Mendelssohn Barthody, a professor of law at Harmburg’s Faculty of Law in the early 1920s.
Why should you study at the Graduate School of Law?
Students at the school include legal scholars as well as graduates and post-docs from other fields. The university’s two research training groups encourage students to think globally. The school’s learning platform provides aspirants in PhD programs with an abundance of opportunities for learning through the school’s research activities. In addition, it provides introductory courses on compulsory subjects and other fields of legal science.
Graduate School of Law Scholarship Details
- Name of the organization: Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law
- Department: Faculty of Law at the University of Hamburg
- Program: Doctoral studies
- Scholarship: A monthly €1,150 award plus €215 allowance for material costs
- Mode of application: Online
- Number of awards: unknown
- Nationality: International
- Country: Germany
Graduate School of Law Scholarship Criteria:
- Applicants from Germany are eligible to apply.
- The university awards all courses related to doctoral programs in law.
- You must be an international student to be considered
- Graduates of both legal science and other fields must have an interest in conducting research in a conducting institute.
- Applicants must possess an outstanding record in their previous education and the skills and commitment to pursue research to the highest level, and this must be demonstrated in their law degree result or a non-legal research-oriented master’s degree. Especially in the fields of business science, political science, and sociology.
- Applicants must prove their academic excellence, through an outstanding degree (cf. § 3 PromO AMBSL) in a law degree (first legal examination / LL.M.) or in a non-law research-oriented master’s program (especially in economics, political science, sociology).
Graduate School of Law Scholarship Application Process
- Applicants can send the admission application either via the application form or send to Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law Universität Hamburg Fakultät für Rechtswissenschaft Rothenbaumchaussee 33 D-20148 Hamburg.
- Successful applicants will be invited for a one-on-one interview during the period of March and April.
- Applicants who are not conversant with the language requirements of the school and are intending to write their paperwork in German or English must prove their language proficiency by submitting a certified document stating the same.
- The requirement for the English language is evident in level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This is achievable through TOEFL IBT-100 points, IELTS – 7 points, and TOEIC-945 points. For the German language, this is evident in the DAF or DSH test result.
Benefits of applying for the Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law Scholarship
Graduate School of Law Scholarships is awarded for a period of three years depending on the applicant’s academic results.
Successful applicants will be awarded a monthly scholarship of €1,150 plus an allowance of €215 for material costs, if applicable.
To get more information about the scholarship opportunities, kindly visit the Graduate School of Law Scholarship official website to get latest updates.
Other Scholarship Opportunities: