2023 Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Program Summer Internship Program (MBARI) for Students and Educators Summer Internship Program are available for international applicant to apply. This provides a very good opportunity for both undergraduate, graduate and educators. godcentvc.com is here to guide you on how to easily.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) is a private, non-profit oceanographic research center in Moss Landing, California. David Packard founded MBARI in 1987 and is primarily funded by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
The institute’s president and chief executive officer is Christopher Scholin who has been serving and managing a work force of approximately 220 scientists, engineers, and operations and administrative staff.
At MBARI, it’s the duty of scientists and engineers to work together to develop new tools and methods for studying the beautiful ocean. Long-term funding from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation helps the institute to take on studies that traditional granting institutions may be reluctant to sponsor.
Part of David Packard’s charge for MBARI was to “Take risks. Ask big questions. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes; if you don’t make mistakes, you’re not reaching far enough.”
MBARI’s campus in Moss Landing is situated close to the center of Monterey Bay, at the head of the Monterey Canyon. Monterey Bay is among the most biologically diverse water bodies in the world, and the underlying submarine canyon is one of the deepest underwater canyons along the continental United States.
With this 4,000-meter-deep submarine canyon only a few ship-hours from their base of operations, institute scientists enjoy an advantageous proximity to this natural, deep-sea “laboratory”.
MBARI is not open to the general public, but it has an open house once a year. Although MBARI is a sister institution to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the two organizations have entirely separate management and funding.
A group of MBARI’s scientists, engineers, and support staff are in collaboration with a wide range of cutting-edge marine research projects which is enable by innovative technology. MBARI’s current efforts include the interdisciplinary fields of ocean science, including marine biology, geology, chemistry, and biological oceanography.
MBARI also develops new oceanographic research tools and techniques, as well as technology related to ocean observatories.
Much of MBARI’s research focuses on the development and use of robotic vehicles and other automated methods for gathering information in the ocean. These tools provide a unique view of ocean life and physical phenomena.
Application is ongoing for the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)‘s Summer Internship Program are available for international applicant to apply. This Internship is a very good opportunity for skillful undergraduate and graduate-level students and educators.
At MBARI, The program permit interns to work directly with scientists, engineers, and communicators. The interns are involved in collective teams during the internship program as they learn engineering techniques, innovative research, and advanced communication skill.
The MBARI’s state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, such as research vessels, remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), and Autonomous underwater vehicles, are ready for participants to co-work on professional research and development projects.
Again, for 10-weeks a mentor from Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) will be there to supervise each intern on a specific project. The Interns also serve as peer mentors to each other. The Interns will benefit from an hour-paid stipend for the full-time program. Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) may also give accommodation for those interns out of the area.
Providing interns and developing the general good of the oceanographic community is the main objective of this program.
- Application Start: 05 June 2023 Application
- Deadline: 11 August 2023 Program
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Organizer: Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)
- Location: America, California
- Funding Type: Partially-funded.
Currently this year, you can apply to any of the following projects which are available;
- Biology and Ecology of Seamount Ecosystem
- Data Science/Engineering
- Environmental DNA
- Automated classification of deep-sea imagery
- Science Communication Intern
- Bioinspired Design
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Autonomous coastal profiling float (CPF)
- Intern logistical coordinator
- GO-BGC Adopt-A-Float project
- Ocean Vision AI
- 3D Positioning system
- Scalable Marine Robotics.
Benefits Of The Program – Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Program
If you’re an intern, you will benefit the following from the Internship:
- There will be provision of payment ($17/hour for last year’s program);
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) may provide accommodation;
- There will be a grant from the Maxwell/Hanrahan Foundation for interns with STEM-related backgrounds and David and Lucile Packard Foundation;
- There will be support and supervision of project by the expert mentors to the intern;
- Work experience with world-class scientists, engineers, and communicators;
- Other non-capitalistic benefits.
Qualifications – Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Program
To qualify for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- must be with any nationality;
- must be undergraduate or graduate students or educators;
- must be at least 18 years old when the program starts;
- If you are accepted for this program as an international applicant, you must hold a work visa (MBARI doesn’t assist visas, tickets, and international travel costs).
Documents Required –
As an applicant, you must submit the following document (preferably in pdf format)
- A cover letter: you must have a cover letter which should have a statement of your research interest, contact information, relevant coursework, and grades received – transcript is not required. Do not give boring and simple biographies, and talk about your experiences and how they assist you in reaching your goal.
- Again, share your thoughts and discuss how you wish to use your upbringing, background, and life experiences to enhance your internship experiences. You must also show your project preferences in the cover letter.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): You have to include relevant academic background and work experiences, leadership, honors, activities, training and skills. It’s an opportunity to sell yourself y writing quality explanations of experiences with a focus on achievements and end products. Make sure yo customize your CV or resume for your audience and make use of a formatting that is consistent.
- A recommendation Letter: Make sure you ask your professional seniors, maybe lecturers, supervisors etc to write your name in the email’s subject line if it is an electronic letter sent directly by the author. Most importantly, you’re expected to have a genuine relationships and personal connections with the writer. Make sure your recommender knows you personally.
- A completed online application form: Click here to fill and submit it.
How to Apply For Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute Summer Internship Program
You’re supposed to provide all required documents listed above (except the online application form, which must be filled and submitted online) and sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete or timely submissions will be considerable.